Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Hmmmm...

I was reading a post from a friends blog today and it got me thinking about my blog and the reasons why I have one. I started it out as a venue for knitting gossip. I don't have any friends who knit or even crochet. Its such a huge hobby for me, something I just adore but not having any friends who share this passion is kind of depressing.

Anyway, as I'm reading his blog it occurs to me that my blog (and its writer) is/are rather shallow. Reading over my past posts - there is nothing really there about me. I find myself deliberately leaving out key things that are happening in my life just because I figure that people do not read my blog to hear me lament about my woes. Or opinions. Or non-knitting thoughts.

But yet - this is who I am. I'm wondering about you now, is your blog just really a way of reaching out to other knitters, what made you start your blog? Maybe I need to personalize this a bit more, maybe I shouldnt. Maybe I should just let it be what it is - my knitting and let those who may judge ... bite me.

Thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Laura A said...

I started my blog for the same reason, my friends don't knit and show no inclination towards ever starting. It's been wonderful. I've learned a lot and made good friends. A secondary reason is to give distant relatives a way to keep up with my life. I also REALLY love to write. And I like to write about myself. It all works.

I stick mainly to knitting content, but I slip other things in there on occasion. Basically, it should be whatever you want it to be. Whatever you do with your blog, it'll touch someone, and not be what others want to read. There are so many people and ideas and opinions out there. You can't please everyone.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

I started blogging to keep track of my knitting projects: yarn and needles used and what they looked like as they progressed.

My blog has morphed into a knitting blog, canine showcase and a personal diary of sorts. I don't get really personal, but stick to general chit chat about my life. I do this both for myself (to make a record of my life, so to speak) and also so my readers can get to know me.

Do whatever you want. Just type and let it come out. Don't force yourself to be a certain way. :)

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Happy said...

For some reason I always chuckle when someone says "bite me", so thanks for the smile this morning! I started my blog cause I wanted a place to keep pics and lists of groups I visit, etc. It works as a diary so I can look back and see what I worked on, when, for who, what needles I used, etc. I love my knitting blog!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Peacock said...

My blog is primarily knitting-focused because it is a small enough theme that I don't feel completely overwhelmed by trying to keep up with it! I also have a life-themed blog, but it only has about 5 posts on it. I get completely overwhelmed by the question of what to write on it: what is worthy? what is interesting? what is just rambling? what will come back to haunt me? what should I have written about that I'll kick myself for forgetting?? etc. There's just too much possibility in a whole-life themed blog, and I like the comfort and security of a narrower topic. :)

As for "shallow" I disagree. Your blog tells me SO much about you! I know that you love your family and your pets. I know that you're having quite a few annoyances along the way right now (plumbing, bursting corsets, gas leaks...) and I feel for you. I also know that you're maintaining your sense of humor and individuality despite life's annoyances, and that makes me admire you. I also know you dislike bugs. ...

You don't need to show Everything to show who you are. The little glimpses we get of you through your knitting and annecdotes are very telling and not at all shallow.

Hugs!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home