Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

The Ugly.

Ugly could be one of two things. First being me on a beach in a bathing suit. But that would also be scary so...we...are left with one thing in my world to describe ugly. Well, wait - there is that biotch from Salina who is now my sworn mortal enemy. But other than those two things - this is what I'd describe as ugly.

The partially completed sock



That was the first sock. Dayum. Hurts the eyes eh?

The second sock isnt half bad. Take a looksy.



After at least 28 starts and frogs on the first one it dawned on me that maybe it was not me. Maybe the yarn sucked. I mean, this would be a first for me. Not my fault, its the yarn.

I'm diggin' this idea. And for this one little thing - I think its an accurate statement. I am sooo not a yarn snob. I'll use acrylic yarns. I mean, those giant skeins of Red Heart really do make wonderful baby blankets. What a surprise to me that maybe ....just maybe.... the inexpensive (in the yarn world) sock yarn I bought at Hobby Lobby was sucky.

Either way - thats the story I'm going with. Not sure what the new yarn even is, just know its merino I bought from my LYS and I think maybe it was hand dyed...maybe by someone local? Looks good though and I'm not going to think about how this one pair of socks might cost me $20.

It shall become the socks that broke the budget.

The book where I got the easy peasy pattern that is really easy to read. A great pattern for newbies.



The Bad

I am afraid that I may be an idiot spinner. I mean, a serious idiot. Not just the old "i have no patience for this" excuse I use for socks. As in this may just be too much for my brain to take in. I've been holding the yarn, spinning the spindle, re-reading the directions and starting all over again. And. Its. Just. Not. Good. Bad in fact. Talked yesterday with Susie about this whole situation and she thinks I am an idiot also.

Ok, so she didnt exactly say that. Not in those exact words. But I knew.

Anyway, if anyone can offer help - I'd so appreciate it. I am going to visit some sites tonight that Susie offered in hopes that I will get a clue. Even a small clue.

The Good



Yum. 8 oz's of merino in purple. Just waiting for me. Got it in the mail today from Ebay seller "The Flying Ewe". She is very sweet and shipped it out super fast. I think...I just paid for it on Friday - so thats really fast shipping. I love this yarn, soft and very cotton candy'ish.

Another Good thing from this last week is our pup seems to be doing a little better.



Her bald spot where they did the spinal tap -



She is feeling a little better. Very sassy and kind of aggressive. Not mean aggressive rather - watch your fingers when giving her a biscuit -aggressive. Doc says this is normal due to the high dosage of Prednisone she's on. Also getting a little chunky, has a cute little tubby belly. Weight gain is also part of her getting better and since she has been so ill the last few months we pretty much give her (within reason of course) whatever she wants. The 3 Milkbone biscuits a day rule - is no longer.

A pic of Sable Sable for the cat people. Someone needs the nails clipped eh?



I'm also working on getting a couple of pictures framed as a gift for my Mother. I'll post them here over the next week or so. Here is a pic of my little Mikey and his wife Shannon. Mike is my nephew, I love him like he's my own son. Feel like I had a huge part in raising him and I couldnt be more proud of the man he's become.

7 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger --Deb said...

Okay, so I've only been spinning for 6 months, but I went through the same denial phaze, where I thought it was ME being an idiot because it wasn't working when, darn it, the photos in the book looked so effortless! It turns out that it wasn't idiocy at all. It's the difference between "ignorance" and "stupidity." My fingers just had to learn what to do--it wasn't that they were stupid, just that they were inexperienced. Hang in there and concentrate on your drafting--that's where the "trick" is!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Is that the NEW Knit It! Mag?

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger LisaB said...

The yarn for the second sock is very pretty!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Snooze said...

Noooo! I think you're the smartest, cleverest, most beautiful, sanest, intelligent, cute, personable, brilliant person I've never met! You can spin. I promise. We'll spin together. Really. And I'll bet you get better at it faster just because you're so talented.

Did that make you feel better?

~Hugs,
Susie

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Call me crazy, but I actually like the first sock! roflmao
I'm spinning stupid as well. I think it just takes time and patience--two things I don't have right now. I have the same exact spindle you have and the same roving from that Ebay seller!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Try a wheel instead of a spindle. If I had started out on a spindle, I would never have continued. ;-) Really. If you can find someone that will lend you a wheel for a short time, or a place that will rent one, try that instead. It took me 4 years of wheel spinning to *get* spindle spinning. And when you do, try spinning something like Romney roving. Something that you can actually *see* the crimp will make drafting and spinning so much easier. :)

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Oh, hey, the sock yarn might not be super perfect but the socks look nice and you have to start somewhere!!

As for spinning, it's pure practice, it's not easy in the beginning, but if you keep trying you'll get there. It can be frustrating though, I've been there! :D

As for the KoolAid, that would be sooooo coool!!! You HAVE to give me your address then so I can send you something in return, ok?

*love*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home