Sunday, January 22, 2006

Its all about me

This last month has been nothing but a giant ball of stress. My hubby is going to be losing his job in the next "45-60" days. Or so his current employer has hinted at. His company was recently bought by the competition and the future for the Kansas City offices - is bleak.

With this area being so very lacking in jobs for his trade - he's started looking in other states. Right now he has a interview in Phoenix next week - and I am really freaking out about it.

Phoenix. Land of 110 degrees in the summer. I hate the heat. I hate summer. And I am not a big fan of the sun. I have a skin pigment where parts of my skin doesnt tan. So any tan I get - is always accompanied by a blotch of white. Its not attractive. Not to mention the blotchy parts - burn. Big time. So I do my best to avoid the sun. Which in KS is bad enough. We have awful summers here. But nothing compared to AZ.

I was reading here about a record heat day in Phoenix where the temp topped out at over 120 degrees. *#&%. Don't get me started on the bitch factor I enter when I'm too warm either. If you've been around me in the summer - you've seen it. It aint pretty.

There is also the whole "critter" thing. Spiders. Snakes. Scorpions (and not the band either).

Ok. But..... there is the fact that its a couple hours drive to the ocean. Or the kabillion places in CA I've never been. And Vegas. And I'm a little closer to my sister in AK.

Ok. Maybe its not that bad. I can wear hats. Sunblock. Stay in a/c during the nasty months. I'll avoid the critters. It will be a fresh start and maybe I will not be so shy - and actually join a knitting group. New yarn shops to hit.

And.... we will travel. A lot.

Done whining now.

Thanks for listening.... I feel better. :)

16 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I've lived outside of Phoenix for 3 1/2 years now. I'm not going to lie to you. Summer is really tough here. But, you do learn to live with it. There is basically 3 months where you try to stay in as much as you can. But the other 9 are gorgeous. I love living here. Black Widows? Haven't seen one. Haven't seen a scorpion. Saw 1 rattlesnake on a hike (and I hike a lot). The only thing that is kind of tough is the dry air in the winter. Kind of hard on the skin.

And you can join my knitting group!! I've made some of my best friends there.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

The weather sounds yicky..but you would be closer to me...we could have a vegas meet-up.

: )

Wishing you lots of luck...

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger laurie said...

aww rox...so much stress :o\

definitely understand about the heat (ack!) and the critters (YIKE! one of the things i like best about michigan...few nasties)...

thinking good thoughts that all will work out for the best for you both...

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Noeysmommy said...

and if you move anywhere close to Phoenix you'd be just a mere 7 hours away from me and Noey!!!We're sending you lots of hugs....I know how stressful uncertainty and life changes can be.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Donni said...

Don't worry - it's all training for when you move over here!

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Melissa said...

I'm sure everything will work out for the best ;)

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

eeeek! i am so sorry! my dad has the same pigment thing going on and he has to constanly wear hats in the summer time! TX has some scaty bugs too, my husband is from Cal. bay area... and he never grew up with lots of bugs snakes and spiders!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's job issues. I hope you get to move somewhere interesting at least! Sounds like at least you'd have some nice knitting pals close by :)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger G Sharona said...

Too funny I was just bitching about Texas a few days ago..and thinking I could have it worse if I lived in AZ..but to think of all the cool stuff nearby makes it worth the thought.Good Luck either way Rox and if you ever need a Big Truck just holla I got a F250 4x4 ready to go !!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger bethanie said...

yikes! Things like that totally stress me out too!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Sedie said...

Take a deep breath, it will be ok. You can come over to CA anytime and I'll take you to the beach! Good luck

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Elaine said...

120 is rare - I promise! Black Widow spiders rarely come inside, and they aren't the fastest bug on the block. I never saw a scorpion outside of the science museum, never saw a rattlesnake, and only once saw a gila monster and again - pretty durn slow moving. There are terriffic restaurants, great shopping, and a decent economy with mostly affordable housing. I had 10 years there, and it was mostly OK.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Paula said...

awww I'm sorry. I hope things get better for you guys real soon.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Colleen said...

I don't think people living on Phoenix have much in the way of lawn care! Everything will turn out okay. But if you have to go, we'll miss you here in the midwest!!!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Gee, not good news at all for you guys. But I believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe you won't know what the reason is right away. And maybe you won't be moving to Phoenix at all...maybe a job will come up somewhere nice and snowy and cold through the winters! I wish you the very best and hope the job search goes easy for your hubbo.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger knitabulous said...

So I'm reading these comments; yada yada yada, WHAT??!!@!
Can I come on the Vegas meetup too?? Pretty pleeeeeeze???

That would be like my dream holiday desination. I've heard there's free booze.

And Rox, it's not like I don't care about your domestic/financial affairs. I do care, but what I have to say has already been said, and mostly these things have a way of sorting themselves out. You can only control what you can control, let it play itself out - it will be different, but you'll still be you and you'll still be together and the way you feel and think will be the same - you'll just be in a different place. They can't take away your birthday.

I still wanna come to Vegas.
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home