Friday, April 07, 2006

Yes... I am strong but its wisdom from the pain....

.... if you are singing right now... you are as old as me. And we don't look a day past er, 25. Right? !

Took a little trip around our back yard today - oh the horrors. I wonder why I didnt see all the work this house needs done when we first looked at it?

I am feeling motivated though. Kind of. In a all-talk and no-action sort of way. hehe. My friend Shannon is like, this house repair genius. And she does it all herself. Completely astonishes me when I see some of the jobs she has tackled in her house.

I can hang a good picture. Once I even put up a curtain rod, nailed the bracket to the wall and everything. Shannon is redoing her water system. I should be ashamed. Especially after living by myself for 30 years. I was a single independent woman. Now I have this stereotype of what I should have to do and what my hubby should have to do.

For instance. He always, without fail does these chores: taking out the trash, cleaning the cat box, taking the cars in for any repairs and any bug killin'. I do dishes, laundry, most of the house cleaning, bathe the dog, pick up any cat furballs and I even wash my inlaws laundry.

This all seems fair to me. But then we get to the big things. Like plumbing issues or the fifty other things that are falling apart in this house. When you rent - you just make a phone call to the owner of the house. Not any more. Shit! And my hubby is about as educated in home repairs as I am.

So, again in following Shannon's lead. I'm going to acknowledge what needs to be done and going to go about the process of friggin doing it. Because, I'm a woman. A strong, independent woman. And I ain't scared.

Now... lets all sing the song. "I am woman hear me roar.... yada yada".

There. Now. I've got it out of my system.

Here is the start of what needs to be tackled.

The back porch stairs. The scariest damn stairs you evah walked on. They sway. They make a "I could bust at any moment" sound with each step. And frankly they look like hell.



Not to mention they really ugly up the back yard. One day, years from now when we have won the lottery and stuff we will replace the whole deck. But for now.... I can only afford the stairs!

Someday also, that siding behind those steps needs to be replaced.

Oh gawd. What have I gotten myself into.

Ok. One step at a time.

Now. Does anyone know anything about replacing steps? Helpful hints? I'm off to research ....
pray for me. :)

hehe - a pic of the kids looking at me as I surveyed my task at hand.

8 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Donni said...

I've got a drill set if you want to borrow it!

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Snooze said...

Measure twice, cut once. Best advice I've ever gotten...

~Hugs

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Jade said...

Ok, that was nice but waaaay more than I deserve. I'm cheap and that's the bottom line - it doesn't mean I know what I'm doing (today's post is a perfect example). I'm just crazy enough to jump in and try.

Now, the beauty of stairs is that good ole Home Depot sells the side boards alread 'notched' with the right rise and runs - measure the length of your stairs from deck to ground and see if they dont have them. Should you go the route of cutting your own, just use the old ones as a template - you'll need a circular saw and a jig saw. I've never done it so don't go getting all impressed - my Granddad built houses in his day, I've seen it done and thats all. I wish I lived closer 'cause I'd sure help. The book I mentioned from Home Depot is a good choice for info, and there is info on HGTV.com on deck repair.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Pammi said...

Hey Rox, Thanks for stopping by my friends blog and saying hello, you are great. Good Luck with the house project, when you are done with yours love to have you over to mine (ha, ha)

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Peacock said...

Two things:
1- Your friend (although modest) is obviously a Savant (not an idiot savant, just the basic Genius kind. ;) ... and her area of expertise is clearly Making Houses Better. Someone's gotta be better at it than all the rest of us, and you happen to be friends with her. Awe her, adore her, bribe her, learn from her!! .. but don't do yourself the disfavor of thinking that (especially untrained! and inexperienced!) you should "measure up!"

(I, on the other hand, am a savant at two things. 1- untying knots and loosening tangles. This comes in useful with the whole knitting and weaving thing, sure, but doesn't count for much when faced with life outside the studio. 2- learning new things. This means that the old things often don't get finished. (sigh))

2- There is something amazing about the sense of pride in one's own accomplishment. .. and while it takes a special person to REALLY appreciate a hand-knit pair of socks, you'll be AMAZED how many people will coo over your newly built stairs. Truly. It's astonishing.

Hugs!

PS-- what about postcards? Is there a moratorium on postcards?

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger G Sharona said...

Get Er Done Girl!!!
You girls amaze me...what can you not do?

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Rox said...

Yes Mrs T - postcard!!!!!! Perfect!!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger LisaB said...

Oh my goodness, that is my absolute fear about owning a house. Both my husband and I are as dumb as nails when it comes to fixing things up. I would just rather pay to have things done...but then comes the other problem...money with which to do it! I'll probably just have to buck up and figure it out!

Good luck with the fixin'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home